Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Could Jump Over the Moon Up Above

{Why I grew up loving musicals}
Photo by Larisa Crockett 
1. The obvious: I used to (and still kinda do) wish life was one big musical
Basically, I was one of those little kids that walked around singing all the time. OK.... honestly I'm one of those annoying people that does that. However, I promise I realize that 90% of the time I don't sound good. But ever since seeing Singing in the Rain at such a young age, I used to constantly pretend I was Gene Kelly; unsuccessfully jumping onto the sides of light post, singing the incorrect gibberish rather than the actual lyrics to the song, and making up my own form of tap dancing. Most of the times my parents loved it, but obviously there are still times when they have to remind me that theres a time and place for everything.

2. I wanted to wear costumes all the time. ALL the time.
This is where being in dance classes came in handy. I always had leftover ballet costumes, excessively sparkled, sequined, and feathered (the pink chicken year... yikes), and lots of funny leotards to wear. Thankfully my parents fully supported me wearing costumes rather than real clothes... most of the time. However playing in the sandbox on a rainy day in my mom's old sweethearts dance dress was one of those times when... well... that's a sore subject. Lets not go there.

3. I always connected to the quirky best friend characters rather than the principle ones... they always had the best songs.
My most favorite character of all time (and oddly not a female) Cosmo Brown from Singing in the Rain and his iconic song "Make 'em Laugh" made me want to sing and dance all the time. I used to pretend I was him jumping off the walls and running in a circle while laying on the floor. Other characters I absolutely couldn't get enough of: Lois Lane from Kiss Me Kate, Frenchie from Grease (I was her for Halloween once), Ado Annie From Oklahoma!,Glinda the good witch from Wicked, as well as the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz.

4. Oddly enough, my love for musicals has helped me meet some of my best friends
Specifically my friend Alanah who likes all the same musicals as me. Our favorites are the ones with the most upbeat, tap dancey, belt worthy songs. Some of them we've watch so many times that we could just give each other that "look" and immediately go into the choreography and singing of Don Lockwood and Cosmo Brown singing "Fit as a fiddle and ready for love/ I could jump over the moon up above!" complete with the fake fiddles and tap shoes.

EE

No comments:

Post a Comment