Friday, September 7, 2012

My Top Five Favorites



Roomate fun
Photo by Eliza Eaton 
In celebrating my three-week anniversary of living on the CNU campus, I have decided to write about my top five favorite experiences I’ve had/ things I love about Christopher Newport University. That being said, let it be known that the list is much longer than five simple things, and will continue to grow seeing as I’ve barely completed my second week of classes. But in any case, that just goes to show you how awesome it is to be going to this school, and how much more there is to experience.

1.     Lets go to da beach.   One of the perks of going to school in Newport News? -Living a mere 45 minutes from VA Beach (or if there’s traffic, 2 ½ hours). Either way it makes for great day trip. While I’ve talked to several alumni friends who said that they maybe went to the beach “Once or twice their junior year”, my lovely upper-classmen teammates made sure that we got to get our beach on within the first week of classes. Ideally, it was a great way to recuperate from the crazy week of our first college classes ever and also an excellent bonding experience… in that I was jammed in a car with four other guys who all got see a small sample of my weirdness, I successfully learned how to skimmed board (just kidding I flipped over and fell on my face in front of all the beach-goers four times in a row), and they tried to teach me how to throw a football without looking like a disabled zebra. Surprisingly that was more successful than the skim boarding. 

Photo by some random lady but on Lydia C's Camera
2.     Hanging out in Einstein’s.  When I first came to school, one of the first things I was worried about was losing my almost daily routine of going to Barnes & Noble and cozying up with my computer or a cooking magazine and sipping a cup of Starbucks coffee (insert eye roll…. Typical girl). Anyway! To my luck, located in the Trible Library is a quant little hot spot for all those who come to CNU’s campus: Einstein’s Café. To put it simply, it’s PERFECT. Not only does it sell my beloved Starbucks Coffee, but its cozy, a mere two-minute walk from my residence hall, and in the freaking library! What more could a female college freshman want? …. Oh yeah. Free Starbucks coffee.

3.     Running in my first college cross-country meet. And now for the #RunnerProblems portion of my blog. Except for this isn’t a problem, quite the opposite in fact! After some of the hardest practices I have ever experienced and getting used to this different world of Newport News (flat and humid compared to the mountainous air I’m used to in the Blue Ridge area) I, along with my teammates, ran in our first XC meet of the year. Leading up to the meet, I was nervous and felt in the dark about what to expect. Once we got there, it was game time. Granted my racing time wasn’t great, the rest of the meet was amazing. CNU parents were everywhere cheering us on, I was excited and pumped to race, and once I was racing I felt like I had found home again.  I felt energized and I actually enjoyed getting back out on the XC course. That being said, it’s only fair to admit that the photos of me racing tell a different story.  Bring on the comic relief.
Charming.
Photo by Barbara Corts
4.     My Classical Roots of American Culture class. I have been thoroughly enjoying all of my classes thus far. However, this class, which I have lovingly acronymed (not a real word) my “CRAC” class, has provided the most enjoyment. In other words, I actually look forward to reading this textbook. Weird? Probably. Shame? None.  Essentially the class is about how the founding fathers of America framed our government with inspiration from many Greek and Roman political ideologies and also applies the relationship between Greco-Roman art/ architecture then and American art/architecture now.  Does it sound boring to you? Probably. Regardless, classical history is my favorite and in the words of Magistra Bronaugh “Latin Lives Today!”.

5.     The Dessert Reception at President Trible’s house. Probably my most favorite experience thus far, the dessert reception is a memory I will carry with me forever. The whole experience felt like an episode of Gossip Girl except with less drama, drinking, and dirty deeds. And a whole lot more dessert for sure. I can’t choose my favorite moment of the night. Was it pulling up to the front of the house in fancy vans, shaking hands and talking directly to Prezzy Tribs himself, or standing in the gorgeously decorated back yard and watching the sun disappear over the James River? Hard to pick. What I do know is that along with offering me a way to connect with some of the higher up faculty at CNU and also finally granting me the opportunity to try that MUCH talked-about peanut butter pie, I had an amazing time and knew in that moment that I had surely chosen the best school to attend for the next four years.
Taken with my phone
Photo by Eliza Eaton
     As I said before, this is only the beginning of brilliant experiences, people, and such. I mean I didn’t even mention doing a slip n’ slide in my street clothes (such a college thing to do). But these last few weeks have been both gratifying and a learning experience. I’m pumped; I’m ready to go.
 ALL RIGHT BABY LETS BRING ON COLLEGEEEEEEEE!!!

2 comments:

  1. Leroy,
    Only ONE obvious correction. Nicely done. And seriously, nicely done. Most enjoyed, I did.

    And in a related story, happy birthday to the best sister ever. Make sure you make her feel loved.

    Love,
    Uncle Bobo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir editor please tell me which correction you speak of! I Have called, texted, and plan to call and text some more to my mum. Skype also will occur.

    -Leroy

    ReplyDelete