Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ludicrous Christmas List

       I really just wanted to use the word "ludicrous".
Holidays on ice
Photo by Eliza Eaton

     I often feel like every year I think less and less about what I want for Christmas. Maybe its because recently I feel super guilty about asking my parents for anything but help with paying college tuition. Maybe its because, as I become older, I’m more and more distracted with Christmas music than Christmas gifts. I began thinking about this the other day while I was wondering what I should ask for, in a more practical manner. At first I was thinking about things like more money for laundry on my Captains Card, some running socks (seriously), a few more good pairs of jeans, and, what the hell, I might as well get a head start on my funeral payments too.

     Then I thought to myself, those things, while sensible and realistic, really aren’t what I want. While it is highly likely that those items are what I will be receiving for Christmas (no complaints here), I thought, wouldn’t it be fun to make a list of all the things I really desire. Realistic or not, wouldn’t it be fun to search my brain for the most elaborate, unrealistic and preposterous gifts I could think of. Also I just got a Pinterest account and its plaguing my brain with stupidly beautiful bathroom designs, amazing clothing ideas, and a plethora of photographs of only every single place in the world I want to visit.

This Wish List Consists of:
  • Every single article of clothing from The Loft and J. Crew. I mean, I know I could reach much higher and ask for a custom-made ball gown by Karl Lagerfeld, but I really don’t wear ball gowns that often. Every time I walk into The Loft I just want to begin picking and choosing clothes and coordinating outfits like I’m in my own closet! My fashion mind is so stimulated in that store! Every time I’m lucky enough to shop at J. Crew (#SWVAprobs) I can’t even handle all the wonderful clothing in there. And then I look at the prices and I really can’t handle that.
  • A house full of kitties on the Island of Mykonos. Two words: PURE BLISS.
  • To be transported back in time to the 1960’s. Not for Woodstock, not so I can “make love not war”, not for any of that hippie nonsense. I want to go back in time and wear clothing like Edie Sedgwick and Brigitte Bardot and vacation in the South of France.  I want everything to be like Mad Men. I don’t want to be pressured to exercise. I want to drink Martinis. I want to listen to the early Rolling Stones, Beatles music as well as Etta James, Dusty Springfield, and Frank Sinatra. I want to watch shows like laugh in and the Dick Van Dyke show. I think I belong in that decade for certain.
  • A date with Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Zooey can come too). I’m dead serious. I mean I might sound obsessive (correction: I DO sound obsessive), but I think that Joseph and I were meant to be together almost as much as I think him and Zooey were meant to be and my friend Emily and James Franco were meant to be. What would a date with him be like? Well we’d probably just start off with him playing guitar and us singing together (I’ll learn to play the Ukulele), then we’ll do a big dance number like the one in (500) Days of Summer, then we’ll just hang out with Zooey for awhile, then he can do that nice little dance he did on SNL the other night. It will be cosmic.
  • A year in Europe.  Anybody that knows me even fairly well knows that my biggest desire is to travel. When I was younger, it was just places like France and England that I wanted to go to. Now I want to go to Istanbul, Turkey to see the Art Galleries and the thriving city. I want to go to Croatia and just lay on the beach all day surrounded by beautiful men and…. Other people…. But mostly just beautiful men.  I want to go to Vega, Norway to visit my beautiful friend, Sigrid, who I haven’t seen in nearly three years. I want to try new foods, I want to see beautiful buildings, I want to meet fascinating people and eat and drink with them and be merry. This would probably be the grandest gift ever.

    This rounds out the top five items on my unreasonable-gift-wish-list. Writing about it definitely helped with my aching desires for these things. My yearning for them has definitely ceased.
    HA! JUST KIDDING!
     But really, I’m thankful for what I have anyway. These extravagant things are lovely to think about having, but in the end, I’m glad I have amazing friends, an awesome college to attend, good looks that will get me just about anywhere in life (LAWL), and parents that will support me with whatever I decided to do. Like quitting school and joining a gypsy cult.


Kidding. Again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment